This might be interesting to some, but here’s the list of games I’ve principally coded over the years.
NB: this list excludes the numerous games where I’ve helped or been just a part…
- Neutron (C64) (unreleased) – SHMUP inspired by the arcade game Star Force.
- Delphian (C64/Amiga ) (unreleased) – 3D space-trader using hires scaling sprites.
- ??? (C64) (unreleased) – side-scrolling SHMUP inspited by the Centurions cartoon series.
- Gemini Wing (Amiga) – conversion of the ST game.
- Combo Racer (Amiga/ST) – sprite based sidecar racing game.
Core Design Limited
- Thunderhawk (Amiga/ST) – 3D polygon attack chopper game.
- Jaguar XJ220 (Amiga/Mega-CD) – Sprite based racing game based on the jaguar XJ220 car.
- Thunderhawk (Mega-CD) – 3D sprite-based attack chopper game using Mega-CD’s scaling chip. Known as ThunderStrike in the USA.
- SoulStar (Mega-CD) – 3D sprite-based SHMUP using Mega-CD’s scaling chip. This one I have very fond memories, and one where I feel I pushed the Mega-CD pretty hard.
- SoulStar (32X) (abandoned).
- SoulStar (Jaguar-CD) (unreleased) – JaguarCD version of SoulStar was an absolute bitch to program, due in part to Atari’s “wisdom” of not using a disk controller chip (unlike the Mega-CD which also had a nice CD-ROM sector buffer) to read data from the CD. But the main problem I had was the display chip crashing for whatever reason (usually a finicky display list), rendering a blank screen while the rest of the game ran quite happily…
- Thunderhawk 2 (Saturn/PS1) – 3D polygon attack chopper game. My first and only released game for the Sega Saturn. This game was coded in 3 months start to finish. I would’ve had more time if not for the Jaguar-CD version of SoulStar being a bit of a nightmare.
- Fighting Force (PS1) – 3D polygon fighting game. This game began life on the Saturn, at at one point it was suggested it could be a Streets Of Rage game, but that never happened. Work switched from Saturn to PS1, before the Saturn version was abandoned.
- Fighting Force 2 (PS1) – 3D polygon fighting game. This was one hell of a struggle to work on, due to the people I was working with. Was glad to see the back of it once it was finished…
- Thunderhawk 3 (PS2) – 3D polygon attack chopper game. NB: my 1st PS2 game. I had to write a 3D engine and accompanying editors from scratch. Oh fun times! Was disappointed (like a lot of programmers at the time) by the lack of performance from the PS2. It was supposed to have more processing power than a programmer would ever need, but I had that thing on its knees on the first day of coding…
Thunderhawk 3 was the last game at work where I was the lead (or only) programmer. Times have changed, and these days programmers work in large teams. Sometimes I do miss the old days…
And these days, in my spare time…
- Briley Witch Chronicles (C64) – Japanese style RPG based on my 10-novel series.
- Neutron (C64) – a re-created version of the original unreleased Neutron. This version was coded for the RGCD 16k cartridge competition.
- Zeta Wing (C64) – a fun vertical shoot-em-up, inspired by the arcade game Gemini Wing.
- Soul Force (C64) – side-scrolling SHMUP inspired by great games like Gradius/Nemesis and Thunderforce IV, with elements from my Mega-CD game, Soul Star.